Auckland South Corrections Facility - High Security Prison Fencing
Auckland South Corrections Facility (ASCF) is a high security men’s prison located at Wiri, in Auckland. ASCF is operated by Serco New Zealand under a Public Private Partnership with the Department of Corrections. The prison opened in May 2015, after a complex 29 months (approx.) construction period.
As New Zealand’s recognised leader in high security prison fencing, Hampden Fence was engaged to work with all other key project stakeholders including Serco, Spotless (Maintenance), Fletcher Construction (Main Contractor), Mode Design & Peddle Thorp (Architects), Beca (Structural Engineers), and multiple sub-contractors.
Strategic design advice
Hampden Fence was involved at a very early stage of the project, supporting both the architects and the main contractor with initial design concepts and advice throughout until the designs were ultimately finalised.
Hampden was also the first sub-contractor on site, creating an access point for the earthworks to commence. Some months later it began the custom fabrication of the high security fencing solutions to feature across the prison site.
Compliance, Cooperation, Communication
The Wiri Prison project presented a range of [typical] challenges, all of which Hampden Fence managed to ensure minimal impact on the seamless delivery of each stage of the work:
- Required level of documentation - Specifications and certifications
- Operational difficulties due to restricted access around and to site
- Restricted space available for product and multiple product relocations
- Many main contractor managers with various conflicting scheduling requirements
- Minimal input from main contractor for design issues – very reliant on HF
- Required level of communication and detailing
- Slow to receive finalised design detail on variation work
- Compacted programme near completion
The value of working with the prison security fencing experts
Hampden Fence is New Zealand’s most experienced prison security fencing company, with involvement on 11 prisons and other CYFS youth correctional facilities. Hampden worked with Fletcher Construction on Mt Eden Prison redevelopment project and is also working with it on Paremoremo Prison. Hampden is trusted to meet all design and fabrication challenges, communicate well with key stakeholders, and provide excellent documentation through each project. It also brings exceptional Health & Safety performance – with no major incidents on the Wiri Prison project. Hampden’s experience brings with it a clear understanding of the optimal level of required on-site resources, and with its own in-house fabrication capabilities, its ability to ensure the very highest standards of quality control are second to none.
- 850m of 4.8m high perimeter security fencing
- 3m high internal 358 anti-climb security fencing
- Preliminary temporary site fencing
- Various other high security fencing – internal and external